Saturday, October 14, 2006

COMMUNION BREAD RECIPE !

I am writing this post in response to a friends request for the Communion Bread Recipe. Since I have been making it for a while now, I realize that others share the interest...so here it is...This recipe was given to me by Heather Panichelle (Manchester RPCNA) who was given it by Madge Adams (Eastvale RPCNA) ...so for those of you who remember how communion bread "used" to taste...this is probably that very same...(simple) recipe!

3 Cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1/4 Cup of Butter (softened)
1 Egg
3/4 Cup of Milk

Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add butter and bend together. Make a well in center of bowl. In a different bowl, beat egg, then add milk. Pour egg and milk mixture into well, then blend everything together. Roll dough out to 1/2" thick and cut into 3"X5" rectangle pieces (about 3 pieces). With a dinner knife make lines on top of both pieces both vertical and horizontal so that it will be able to be broken apart easily. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 min. You will have leftover dough which you can use for sugar cookies !

** Wendys Notable Notes**
I think that the milk may be a little too much because my dough gets a little sticky. You might just have to play with it like I have done mine. I also know that it is finished baking when the dough does not look wet...you can also press down on one of the squares and it should "sponge back"...dont cook them until they get browned, because then they are too dry to chew. Also if making for church...score the squares rather small...I have had to learn all of this just by playing with it...I am sure everyone else will have their own "Notes" to make :-)

Hope this is helpful...and delicious!!!

6 comments:

Jane said...

It sounds yummy! I wonder if you could make it with Splenda?

Rebecca said...

Thanks for sharing this Wendy-no more excuses now! :-)

Michelle said...

Do you make our communion bread, Wendy? I learn something new everyday!

Wendy said...

That depends Michelle...do you like it? (snicker snicker)

Abigail said...

I've never tasted it, but with so many other vouching for it, how can I do anything other than make it? It sounds yummy....thanks!

Michelle said...

I do like it, Wendy. At every other church I have been to, it has always been like a loaf of crusty bread, never sweet. This is like a little cookie. I feel weird talking about communion bread like I am Rachael Ray or something... hehe :)