Sunday, July 26, 2009

HERES THE SCOOP...

I've had a number of folks ask me what the details were pertaining Ashers arrival...so like I said...here is the scoop: I had false labor the night before...I knew thats what it was. The contractions hurt, but they were not regular or growing stronger. I walked around and eventually got in the tub to ease any soreness. The next night...I woke up at 2:30 with contractions that hurt. These felt a lot like labor to me...it was in my back, and I had a lot of pressure. I got up and walked around...and around...and around...because I was SURE it was false labor. Finally...when it was not subsiding...I woke Cory up to ask him to help me time my contractions...he said...ok, and then rolled over and went back to sleep. (Thanks alot Cor!) My mom and dad were visiting for the girls birthdays, and since my mom was a labor and delivery nurse I woke her up and asked her to help me time contractions. She got up and helped me...but my contractions were not regular and were only about 30 sec or less. I was really skeptical. After all, he was not due until Aug 13th right? The pain was getting worse...so I decided to call the hospital...which I did not want to do, because I knew that they would tell me to come in and get checked...they have to say that. After this call I decided I would not be one of those women who go in only to have to be sent home (which I am known for.) I was going to get in the tub...but not before a contraction took my breath away...that was when I decided that I would at least get checked out...for Ashers sake. So I told Cory to get moving...and he did...he was brushing his teeth...putting on deoderant...and I said just what do you think you are doing? I did not brush my teeth...etc...I am leaving with or with out you...and then he could not find his shoes....ahhhhhh. We finally made it to the car, and drove quickly...we got to the ER and I begged the nurse to hurry to check us in. The chick that pushed the wheel chair went way too slow...so I told her to speed it up too. They put me in a triage room to monitor me for an hour. I was in lots of pain at this point. The nurse that I had was sooo sweet. She reminded me of my friend Leah Terry. She looked like her, and acted like her. I felt so bad because I kept demanding that she give me something for the pain...EVERY contraction...finally she said I cant give you anything because it could compromise your babys lungs...I said that I didnt want to hurt the baby, and that this REALLY hurt and that I wasn't really a pushy person...and I said tell her Cory...and he said "Well...." which I was not in the mood for his jokes. Anyways, they were planning on stopping my labor when we got in, but I progressed SO quickly that they took me straight to labor and delivery. When I got in there...the doc came in shortly afterward...had enough time to put on his gloves and robe, hear me beg for drugs, then after telling me no drugs, hear me beg to have my water broken...so he did, I immediately felt the need to push so I did and he came...so teeny tiny. When we left the house, Cory asked me if he should bring the camera...I said NO he is not coming yet. He cant. It is too early. I am in total shock that I had a baby at this point. I hate to admit this, but I had no idea that I was in true labor until she started wheeling me into l&d. Cory knew before me...it was all soo fast. We got to the hospital at 10 to 4 and had Asher at 5:04. I am glad that I did not get in the tub...we would not have made it. They gave me Asher to snuggle for a while...and then they took him to the warmer and gave him a little extra suctioning. His chest was pulling a little when he breathed so they took him to the NICU to monitor him...just a little mucus. 5 hours later he was in the regular nursery, and back in my arms. Because of his rapid fire delivery...his face was black, blue, green, purple...he must of hit every speed bump on the way out. The nurse that took care of us actually put a note on his bassinet for when they changed shifts so that nobody would try to recusitate him...the bruising faded quickly...his bilirubin was up as we expected, but nothing we worried over. I continue to feed him every 3 hours...I am really tired...but he is thriving. I had NO clothes for a preemie...so ...many friends and family showed up with a supply...thank you all so much! I feel so blessed to have baby number 5...how did we get so lucky?

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

What a STORY! I loved the black and blue "Do NOT RESUSITATE" sign---I hope you took it home for his scrapbook! That is great! Weirdly, I don't see it at all in the photos! Thanks for sharing your story!