Monday, January 15, 2007

*WARMTH*

I stole this photo off of Moms blog...(Thanks Mom). I am chilly at the moment...and this just reminds me of warm times. This is a photo of our garden back home in Western PA. These are some glads, and off into the left you can see yummy sweet corn. I have such good memories of the garden as a child. Dad would plow it, and let us take turns disking (sp?) it. Each of us children would rope off a plot and were allowed to plant whatever we wanted, but it was our responsibility to weed, water, and harvest. The garden also brings back memories of flicking off japanese beetles into soapy water and getting paid a penny for each one. The one thing I did not enjoy so much was picking beans...that was back breaking, and HOT! The house was always filled with bushels and bushels of tomatoes to be canned, beans to be snapped, and corn to be canned or frozen...I think back to all of the times I just groaned about all of the work...and now would give ANYTHING to be able to have a garden like that, and its fruits!!! My Uncle Charlie is the chief farmer now. He is a very accomplished gardener. Someday maybe I can glean information from him :) One of my favorite things is to take a tour through the garden when we visit...and pick the asparagus, tomatoes...or whatever I want...My kids are usually gobbling up his red raspberries! It looks as though I am really hoping for summer to come...Hope your day is warm :)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

It is good to know that I am not the ONLY one pining for summer! And a garden...although, who knows if THAT is in my future this year...

Full of Grace said...

Oh to have enough land to have a garden! It was nice reading about your memories- I also remember our gardens and berry bushes, and hope that maybe someday we'll be able to move to a place that has enough room for a garden. I suppose for now I should be content with my little flower nook! :)