Thursday, June 08, 2006

THURSDAY MORNING POST.............................!

The other day the kids and I went to the library and picked up this movie. War of the Worlds. I am not really expecting much...but I am hoping when Cory and I have some alone time we can indulge in a movie. The last time I got a movie...neither one of us got to watch it because we were so busy. I am optomistic this time...Baseball season is over, and I am no longer a baseball widow :) Hooray!

This is the book I started reading a while ago. Cure for the Common Life...living in your sweet spot. I got this at the library as well. I read a couple chapters and then got preoccupied in the hustle and bustle of daily life. I was pleasantly suprised at this book so far. I thought it was going to be much different! The gist of the book so far, is that everyone is given talents, things they are adept at...you just have to uncover them. These gifts that you have been given should give you delight when you use them to Gods Glory. We should be using that gift as a basis for our careers...(so many people hate their jobs) Also, he points out that every one SHOULD find out what their gift is--I guess he is right...it sort of is like a slap in the face to be given a gift and turn a blind eye to it. He has a guide in the book to help you determine what your gifts are...I haven't really gotten into it...I had a really hard time trying to figure out things that I thought I was good at. Growing up with ADD made it quite difficult to obtain good grades without my medication...so I always give the medication credit...I have always wondered about this sort of thing--I think I am going to enjoy the rest of this book.
Another book I am going to be reading shortly is Parenting Children with ADHD. No- none of my kids have it, but I saw it lying around my Mother in Laws house and I joked that she was trying to "figure me out"..and asked her if I could borrow it and see what they have to say. I have my own ideas about ADD-but I don't know much about the ADHD variety other than some external manifestations. Anyways...totally boring to someone without the disorder I am sure...so I will end this entry:)

Yesterday, Cory had an interview with the Varsity Football Coach for a modified Football position. He told him that he did not have much experience beyond 8th grade because their highschool did not have Football. The coach did not seem to think that was an issue, and was just concerned that Cory had the same philosophy that he had...which appeared to be true. On the other hand, the other applicant has played in both highschool and college. I told Cory not to get his hopes up...(what an encourager!) I can not see how they could give the position to Cory when this guy obviously has more experience...but he assured me that the applicant has to fit with the style of the program being built. Who knows...he might have a chance.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

For as small as your library is, you sure do get some good books! I am shocked! I am looking for a book by Edith Schaeffer called the Hidden Art of Homemaking. Because it is 'relgiously based' I thought our local library would never have it. Maybe I will try anyway...

Wendy said...

I have never seen that one at our library...though at least twice I have checked out a book called the Science and Art of Homekeeping...not religiously based, but it gives lots of history for the "whys" of spring cleaning and what not. It also dealt with fabrics, sewing/mending...and loads of other things...a FABULOUS book. I am not a great housekeeper, but I am always interested in bettering myself...it is a good challenge for me :)