Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A Past Devotional.....

Do some of you write things in your Bible? I don't much anymore...but I like to go back through some of my thoughts from long ago. I really enjoy the book of Philippians. In college I took a course called Personal Spiritual Growth. This class ended with a retreat and a speaker name Kenny Crosswhite...this guy is an EXCELLENT speaker...It is because of him that I took this class EVERY semester that I could. Back to my "BIBLE writing"...anyways, Rev. Crosswhite did a couple of chapters of Philippians...and I love to reread some of the things I wrote down about it as reflection. If you are interested in this you will want to read the 1st Chapter of Philippians, and then answer these questions for yourself.

IF CHRIST IS YOUR LIFE....EXPECT....
(CHAPTER 1)
1.) Your prisons will become pulpits.
2.) Purify your motives. (vs 17)
3.) When Jesus us all that I have, I find that Jesus is all that I need.
4.) You should expect a life that pursues the spiritual benefits of others. (1John 1:7)


(CHAPTER 2)
YIELDED HEARTS............DO I HAVE THIS???????
1.) The attitude of Christ. A genuine unselfish concern for the spiritual welfare of others.
2.) A willingness to take a lower position in order to serve others.
3.) Totally dependable when needed.
4.) Work at not drawing attention to ourselves


(Chapter 3) I didnt write much down for chapter 3...
Process Possessions and Pedigrees...Christ is my goal

(dont worry ...I have to decipher thatone myself!)

(Chapter 4)
Christ is my Completion



Do I enjoy God?
Mark 4:38 1.) Do you care? 1Peter 5:7 Does God Care?
2.) Why are you so Timid? What are you afraid of ? What do you do with them?
3.) Where is your faith?
4.) Who is Jesus to you? Who do you project Jesus to be to others?



Of course these are just notes in my Bible, and I plan to use them for some personal devotional time of my own. Perhaps if you can decipher them they could be useful to you as well ...Who knows?

2 comments:

Jane said...

Interesting that this was the portion of Scripture that impressed you in college. When I was in highschool we had a summer camp speaaker. His name was Carson and he was some relation to David [father, grandfather, uncle, who knows?] He preached through Philipians and I think that was when I began to think more seriously about what my relationshilp to Christ really meant.

Wendy said...

Well, when we were in the Youth group at North Hills, one of the teachers said that you should memorize as much scripture as you can while you are young...they made us memorize the ENTIRE book of Philippians...I was pretty young...I think that I could probably do the 1st chapter. I think that also helped in my liking the book so much:)