Monday, April 17, 2006

The Valentine Family Garden

Cory and I have been brainstorming about our garden this year. The past year we have used big kiddie pools, and grew our tomatoes and tiny little pepper plant in them. They worked great, and we were able to keep them on our deck away from critters...This year, we would like to expand. I think our plan is to put a garden behind our garage. Cory's Dad has a gas powered rototiller, and we plan to ask him for the handy device. I think the soil will be terribly rocky, but if we start now, we can pick out the rocks. The kids can help by filling up their wagons and then depositing them down by the river out back. I also figure that we will need to add some better soil as well...who knows ...it might turn into a raised bed. At any rate, I hope that I can plant lots and lots of tomatoes, peppers, beans, and squash. We also have some containers I will use for onions, parsley, lettuce...etc. The kids decided that they wanted to plant flowers....I think that we can handle that. I am really hoping to get a good start...we shall see! Wish us good luck!

4 comments:

Jemit said...

I don't believe in luck, but I'll say that I pray God will bless you with a bountiful harvest!

Wendy said...

Well...good providence then, right?

Rebecca said...

YEAH! A REAL earth-cutting garden this year? That sounds GREAT! I am thinking that I may not be able to get a garden in this year because we are already 'late' and then I still have MOVING IN to do. We'll see. It would make me sadder than sad not to have SOME vegitation. Maybe I will stick with container tomato's and such just for SOMETHING. We do NOT have a tiller or access to one so, count your blessings! I hope you post pictures of it! :-)

Wendy said...

Rebecca, Last year we did our tomatoes in a large baby pool, and the plants were taller than I was...I think that tomatoes would be easy to grow even if you do get a late start. I will be sure to get some pix and post them...I am very excited...