Wednesday, April 19, 2006

TAKING TIME TO SMELL THE ROSES (PEONIES)

After reading one of Aunt Janes posts, I felt compelled to add one of the same kind. I cannot think of Spring and not think of my Grandma. I have always wanted to "recreate" this picture with one of my own children, but always seem to forget...perhaps it is not too late with Gayle :) I find that I am missing Grandma so much around this time of year! I can hardly wait to see her again, and indtroduce her to her namesake. At least she knew she was to have one :) Still, all the same I sit here with tears streaming down my cheeks and remember her words of wisdom regarding her passing on before us...Psalm 30...."For sorrow like a pilgrim may tarry all the night, but then a shout of joy comes when dawns the morning light..." I will try my best to look ahead to the day when we meet again....being thankful for the time we shared together, and always taking time to smell the peonies :)

4 comments:

Jemit said...

I love the peonies too. Mine grow poorly here, but your Gramma could grow them anywhere it seemed.. she had the 'touch'.
How she loved flowers any time of year. I remember once of her coming into our house, not saying a word, picking up a potted plant of ivy and walking out with it. I nearly killed it, but she took it home and nursed it as best she could. It did finally die, but not before I took it to one of my favorite OB doctors who also had a green thumb.
"Why Marilyn, you have a black thumb", she said. I shrugged my shoulders at that comment. What could I say?
So she tenderly nursed the plant also for a few weeks before she sent it back home to die. It had root-rot and was a hopeless case.
My dad had a way with flowers too.
His favorite one was cosmos. We still plant them every year and think of him when we pick them.
Your gramma not only grew flowers, but she gave away tons of them every summer. She always said to pick as many as you could because that stimulated the plant to reproduce many more. And they did.
I really love that picture of you and her. It was taken in Logan's Ferry before my dad died. Probably around May or June of 1976 I'd guess. You don't appear to be a year old yet.

Jthemilker said...

MOM - your peonies don't grow because Amanda tries to kill them!

Jemit said...

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jane said...

I love peonies too. They are just pushing through the ground now. The foliage at this point is a deep red. They make gorgious bouquets, but you do have to mind the ants.